Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] geraldrmiller@yahoo.ca is offline

Default Hi-Lift Fix-It-Kit - springs / was ping ! Winston Smith

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 13:01:49 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 07:18:14 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 17:04:14 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:58:02 -0600, Pete Keillor wrote:
I made a T-post puller for my hi-lift jack. ...

My youthful experiences with bumper jacks convinced me to raise
unstable loads by hoisting from above whenever possible. Given that I
have a 1 ton shop crane and a 2 ton chainfall on a tripod, what would
a hi lift jack do better besides ride in the pickup bed?
-jsw

My first and favorite bumper jack (1957) consisted of a bsae plate
with a dimple in the centre, a 3/4"' acme threaded rod crrying a hook
and a crank handle on top. Put it in the centre of the bumper and with
the steadying influence of a couple buddies, crank her up and move her
sidewise; repeat as required to get back on the road. Unfortunately
the rod got bent and it never worked right afterward.
Dangerous but handy at times.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada