Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hi-Lift Fix-It-Kit - springs / was ping ! Winston Smith

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 13:01:49 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

My youthful experiences with bumper jacks convinced me to raise
unstable loads by hoisting from above whenever possible. Given that
have a 1 ton shop crane and a 2 ton chainfall on a tripod, what
would
a hi lift jack do better besides ride in the pickup bed?
-jsw

They work like a "winch" too for pulling stuff. Not a lot of
distance
before you have to stop and rejigger but if you are stuck in the
boonies...

--
Leon Fisk

BTDT. The most useful thing I carried was a folding pruning saw to cut
a tree trunk lever to repeatedly lift the car and let rocks piled
against the tire fall into the rut, and then to cut short pieces to
make a few feet of corduroy track.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corduroy_road

The chain fall has served me as a slow and awkward manual winch. For
horizontal pulls a lever hoist is a much better choice. The jack is
more pull for a lot less money than a big lever hoist, though.

-jsw