Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default ping ! Winston Smith

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 08:15:12 -0600
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:

I have several tomato cages made from 4" x 4" square fencing that is 4
ft high. I pound in a fencing T-post (5 or 6 ft) and then wire the
cage to it for support. You can find T-posts at stores catering to
farm fencing and such.

I shoulda thought of that ... I have a few of those , not enough but the
co-op sells 'em for just over 4 bucks each . I was going to drive pegs and
string wire , but this is simpler , easier , and doesn't keep my mower away
from the cages . I don't worry so much about the tomatoes , but if a deer
tipped a tree cage it would do more damage than if I let it nibble . My
peach and one cherry tree might already be dead ... I tried all kinds of
sprays and stuff last year , nothing worked for more than a few days . Looks
like my metalworking for today will be to build a post driver . Got just the
materials I need on hand too , sometimes it's good to be a packrat .

I just push them in a little bit, then use a 6lb sledge hammer. Hold
the post steady with one hand and then sledge with the other (choked
up on the handle). After you get them down a foot or so you can use both
hands on the sledge. Post driver would be nice though.

A deer can/will starve to death with a full stomach. They can eat
pretty much anything, just like some stuff better than others ;-)

I had to put a fence around the garden several years ago due to both
the deer and rabbits. What the deer didn't damage eating they would walk
all over. Fence is only 4ft tall but they have never went over it yet.
My fence posts are 6ft tall. Figured I would string a single wire
around the top if they still got in by jumping over. Had to run chicken
wire along the bottom to keep the rabbits out. They would zip through
the 4" x 2" square fence like it wasn't even there...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b