Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ping ! Winston Smith

Leon Fisk wrote:

Snag
Today's metal work was to bend some 1/8 x 1/2 SS flat stock to make
pegs to secure my "deer cages" that I have built (did that tues) to
go around my fruit trees . Didn't work out so well ... The cages are
36" diameter tubes of 6x6 concrete rewire . All welded construction
, same as the tomato cages built last year . I'll be making some
more of those too , I need 8 more for the planned tomato patch . The
tree cages will also be wrapped with some deer mesh , they can poke
their little noses thru a 6x6 and nibble the new growth .

I have several tomato cages made from 4" x 4" square fencing that is 4
ft high. I pound in a fencing T-post (5 or 6 ft) and then wire the
cage to it for support. You can find T-posts at stores catering to
farm fencing and such.

I shoulda thought of that ... I have a few of those , not enough but the
co-op sells 'em for just over 4 bucks each . I was going to drive pegs and
string wire , but this is simpler , easier , and doesn't keep my mower away
from the cages . I don't worry so much about the tomatoes , but if a deer
tipped a tree cage it would do more damage than if I let it nibble . My
peach and one cherry tree might already be dead ... I tried all kinds of
sprays and stuff last year , nothing worked for more than a few days . Looks
like my metalworking for today will be to build a post driver . Got just the
materials I need on hand too , sometimes it's good to be a packrat .

--
Snag
and winnie's a goner ...