Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need some itty bitty machine screws

"John B. Slocomb" wrote in message

Have been there and done that. The usual recommendation for SS bolts
and an Aluminum fixture is an insulation paste of some sort. I've
used
a multitude of different things - I've even used 3M 5200 :-) but the
main purpose is to prevent corrosion as aluminum and stainless are
far
apart on an Anodic Index Chart. 18% chromium stainless is about 0.5
while aluminum is about 0.95. Zinc, by the way is about 1.2. The
highest and lowest I see on my chart is gold at 0.0 and beryllium at
1.85.

--
Cheers,

John B.

The home-made hardware on my antennas is made from aluminum, brass and
stainless, for example aluminum side plates and pulley sheave on a
brass pivot shaft with a stainless screw through the center, greased
with LubriMatic marine wheel bearing grease #11400.

They show essentially no corrosion and little wear in over a decade of
exposure to rain water and a little wood smoke. I spray LPS-3 on the
outside when the antenna is down for repairs, perhaps once a year, but
it dries too thick for pulley bearings.

Metal close to the ground and exposed to oak leaf acids isn't so
fortunate.

-jsw