Philip Wagstaff

Default Drilling tiles?

From my experience firmly anchoring this kind of furniture on plasterboard
is not easy.
First many fitments have anchorage holes very close together, quite
impossible to achieve in plasterboard - so pick the right kind. Even then
something as sturdy as a grab bar needs reliable fixing and I would suggest
mounting it on a substantial wooden base that is first secured to the wall
Drilling into tile is not difficult, use a piece of masking tape to reduce
the masonry drill slipping and do not press too hard, just sufficient to
cut. Whatever screw/anchor you decide on it must not put any significant
pressure on the tile, or it will crack, I cut the tile hole slightly larger
than the mounting hole or this reason.
To use toggles requires a very large hole

The tiles are on the side of a shower stall, which is probably
made of plasterboard underneath.
I've got some spring toggles and some other expaning wall anchors.

Use a new masonary drill push the drill onto the tile until you hear a
crispy noise then you can drill your hole very slowly.Spring toggles
are ok but I use umbrella clips same principal but when you take the
bolt out the base stays in the wall without falling out.T.R.