Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Need some itty bitty machine screws

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 9:01:00 AM UTC-6, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
"Rex" wrote in message
On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 6:51:37 AM UTC-6, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 17:46:43 -0800 (PST)
Rex wrote:

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 2:48:07 PM UTC-6, whit3rd wrote:
snip
It sounds like you might have to warm up a lathe and turn
them out yourself. Panhead and slotted is the easy part.

Make a few dozen extras, and you can offer 'em on eBay to
others that might want to do restorations.

That's a last resort. I'm no machinist, but I'd give it a shot if I have
to. If I find a way to source these, or make them, I'll definitely make
some extras.

Being you said they were for the grips and shouldn't be important
safety wise...

I talented weldor may be able to tig over the screw head. Then you
could cut a new slot in the old screw. I was thinking to turn/clamp the
screw threads in a heavy block of steel, maybe cast iron to suck heat
away from the thread portion and then tig, reform the top. Maybe use
stainless filler rod?

Hopefully some of the tig wizards in the group will chime in if they
have tried anything like this or not...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

The heads aren't that much of an issue. A few are burred, but can be
dressed with a file and re-blued. The immediate issue is an otherwise
complete gun needing one (1) screw. Well, that and a recoil spring, but
I'm working that with Wolff

Llama used an oddball proprietary thread on those screws. You will not find
a box at the ace hdw.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Search.h...rew+&man=LLAMA

Paul K. Dickman

Yessir, I had that discussion twice yesterday when the hobby shops directed me to Ace Hardware.