Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I shoulda ...

wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 20:31:29 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news
At 3 AM and 3° , the water was fine . At 6:30 and 1° it was frozen
(only in the camper , The Shed water is fine) . Apparently the
insulation I covered the short vertical run of hose wasn't quite
enough and I shoulda left a faucet dripping . Well , now I know how
cold it needs to get before I need to drip the faucet .

Having the faucet "drip" may not do anything but make an icicle
before the line freezes. You need to run a stream of water, the
colder the temperature the faster the stream.

If you have a septic, this may not be a good idea. If the septic and
drain bed fill with water and freeze, you have a worse problem.

A place I used to live, had a septic ONLY for the toilet and kitchen
sink. Gray water (bathtub laundry and bathroom sink) just ran out a
pipe down a hill.

I left the water run slowly for several days during a cold spell in
the bathroom sink. The next thing I found was the bathtub
overflowing all over the floor. The slow water probably never got to
the end of that pipe before freezing.

Then I could not use any water in those fixtures. The 4" PVC pipe was
solid ice all the way from the house to the end of it. (about 40ft.).
A month later when we had a warmer day, I managed to modify some pipes
and just run that water right out into the yard till Spring.

In Spring, I had to dig up and replace the split and cracked pipes.
No Fun!

We had the water freeze last winter while we were out of town for
Christmas . Good thing too , because as you did we had the drain freeze too
.. Woulda been truly ugly ...

--
Snag