Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I shoulda ...

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news
At 3 AM and 3° , the water was fine . At 6:30 and 1° it was frozen
(only in the camper , The Shed water is fine) . Apparently the
insulation I covered the short vertical run of hose wasn't quite
enough and I shoulda left a faucet dripping . Well , now I know how
cold it needs to get before I need to drip the faucet .

I got up this morning and my water was also frozen. I live in
central NC and it was only 10 deg F here. The well house is about
100 feet from the house. It was frozen in the well house that has a
small bladder tank and above ground pump. Typical single row of
bricks and wood roof with a layer of shingles. Probably about 4x5
feet and the brick part 3 feet or so high. First time in the 10 years
I lived there it did this.
I put a 150 watt flood ligh in the well house and in about an hour I
had water in the house.

I am wondering if what I did this summer may have caused this. The
bladder tank (that is only a gallon or two) started loosing its air ,
so I installed a larger (around 5 ot 7 gallon) tank under the house
where it is about 100 feet away from the well house. I did leave the
lod tank in the well house. We do not use much water as it it is just
my wife and I in the house.

I doubt that your changes caused this , if it's only a single layer of
brick and a roof with no insulation . Twenty bucks worth of 1" foam
insulation and a 60w light bulb will solve your problem probably down to
below zero . Use silicone to stick it to the bricks , construction adhesive
melts the foam .

--
Snag