Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default I shoulda ...

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news
At 3 AM and 3° , the water was fine . At 6:30 and 1° it was frozen (only
in the camper , The Shed water is fine) . Apparently the insulation I
covered the short vertical run of hose wasn't quite enough and I shoulda
left a faucet dripping . Well , now I know how cold it needs to get before
I need to drip the faucet .

I got up this morning and my water was also frozen. I live in central NC
and it was only 10 deg F here. The well house is about 100 feet from the
house. It was frozen in the well house that has a small bladder tank and
above ground pump. Typical single row of bricks and wood roof with a layer
of shingles. Probably about 4x5 feet and the brick part 3 feet or so high.
First time in the 10 years I lived there it did this.

I put a 150 watt flood ligh in the well house and in about an hour I had
water in the house.

I am wondering if what I did this summer may have caused this. The bladder
tank (that is only a gallon or two) started loosing its air , so I installed
a larger (around 5 ot 7 gallon) tank under the house where it is about 100
feet away from the well house. I did leave the lod tank in the well house.
We do not use much water as it it is just my wife and I in the house.

---