Lyn J. Mangiameli

Default Sharpening Tools

Hi Owen,
Yes, I've had an Ellsworth jig for a couple of years. It does a great
job reproducing his grind on his gouge. As Fred so well described, it
can be rather easily adapted to use with the Wolverine, doesn't even
need adaption to be used with the new Kelton sharpening system, and can
even be adapted for use with the Tormek.

It is, however, very limited in function. It not only is limited to only
reproducing his swept back grind on a bowl gouge, but it only fits a 5/8
inch bowl gouge (and while it can be adapted for smaller ones, it is not
easy to do so and maintain his geometry).

If those limitations are not bothersome, it works great, is well
manufactured, and is relatively inexpensive.

I didn't recommend it to the original poster as it sounded like he was
desirous of a more versatile system.

It is at least a few months away, but I am working towards a comparative
review of most of the sharpening sytems, both grinders/sanders and
jigging systems. It's not been such a simple project, both because of
the range of set ups possible, and that it becomes a rather expensive
undertaking when most of the options are included.

Lyn

Owen Lowe wrote:
In article et,
"Lyn J. Mangiameli" wrote:

You can see it he
http://woodcut-tools.com/

and purchase it either he
http://www.craftusa.com/

or he
http://www.kmstools.com/

or also through the Woodcut Web site.

The Oneway Wolverine and Kelton Sharpening System are very similar and
well suited to large grinders and large tools. I am very impressed with
the new Kelton system, but don't think it is apt to be as good a match
for our situation as the Tru-Grind. If in the future you decided to get
a larger grinder and wanted the Oneway or Kelton Systems, you could use
the Tru-Grind jig with either, and save yourself from having to purchase
their gouge jigs.

All three are good, versatile, systems that each have followers
believing they are the best.

Hi Lyn. I've had no experience with the Ellsworth jig, but it's
certainly less expensive (and less versatile) than the others. Do you
have any info/experience with it?