Lyn J. Mangiameli

Default Sharpening Tools

For a six inch grinder, and being somewhat new to woodturning, I'd
suggest the Woodcut Tru-Grind. It is small, very versatile and comes
with good instructions (even a CD illustrating its use).

You can see it he
http://woodcut-tools.com/

and purchase it either he
http://www.craftusa.com/

or he
http://www.kmstools.com/

or also through the Woodcut Web site.

The Oneway Wolverine and Kelton Sharpening System are very similar and
well suited to large grinders and large tools. I am very impressed with
the new Kelton system, but don't think it is apt to be as good a match
for our situation as the Tru-Grind. If in the future you decided to get
a larger grinder and wanted the Oneway or Kelton Systems, you could use
the Tru-Grind jig with either, and save yourself from having to purchase
their gouge jigs.

All three are good, versatile, systems that each have followers
believing they are the best.

Lyn

Tom Storey wrote:
First, I'm a newbie. I've turned three bowls and IMHO they are 'works of
art'. However, I don't think the wife will have them in the living room
Sooner or later I'll have to sharpen my tools. I'm slowly gathering a
few of the basic gouges, scrapers and, most recently a pretty good - thin-
parting tool. I'm going to try and work with one popular grind/bevel and if
I get that right, I'll branch out. If I understand current thinking,
'fingernail' grinds are the way to go?? Rob't Scorsby (sp?) quality is my
direction.

I have a basic 6" grinder. Wheels that came with it.

I have seen the Wolverine jig in action and it seems to do the job the
operator had in mind. A 'repeatable' grind was his take on the jig.
However, the Wolverine, with all of its attachment fetches over $225 Cdn.

My question is: What is the best sharpening jig? bearing in mind, I only
want to buy one, once. I don't think that I can freehand a fingernail grind.

Thanks for any suggestions, Tom