Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default Sony STR AV970 Receiver

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 4:43:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 1, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Carl Schiller wrote:
I'm having a couple of problems with this receiver. First is the sounds
goes off and has to be reset by turning the unit off then on again. The other
problem is when the receiver is off it will turn on without sound unexpectedly.

Anyone ever see this problem before?

Thanks,
Carl

I'm having this same problem except it shuts off and turns back on a few seconds later. Also if I leave it on for an extended period of time it will over heat and change to FM radio playing a really loud static sound.

It sounds like a totally different problem than the OP posted about 18 years ago....

Could be flaky micro, noisy/erratic lv supplies, contaminated control panel etc.