Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony STR AV970 Receiver

On Tuesday, December 1, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Carl Schiller wrote:
I'm having a couple of problems with this receiver. First is the sounds
goes off and has to be reset by turning the unit off then on again. The other
problem is when the receiver is off it will turn on without sound unexpectedly.

Anyone ever see this problem before?

Thanks,
Carl

I'm having this same problem except it shuts off and turns back on a few seconds later. Also if I leave it on for an extended period of time it will over heat and change to FM radio playing a really loud static sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 4:43:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 1, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Carl Schiller wrote:
I'm having a couple of problems with this receiver. First is the sounds
goes off and has to be reset by turning the unit off then on again. The other
problem is when the receiver is off it will turn on without sound unexpectedly.

Anyone ever see this problem before?

Thanks,
Carl

I'm having this same problem except it shuts off and turns back on a few seconds later. Also if I leave it on for an extended period of time it will over heat and change to FM radio playing a really loud static sound.

It sounds like a totally different problem than the OP posted about 18 years ago....

Could be flaky micro, noisy/erratic lv supplies, contaminated control panel etc.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 14:07:05 -0800 (PST), John-Del
wrote:

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 4:43:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 1, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Carl Schiller wrote:
I'm having a couple of problems with this receiver. First is the sounds
goes off and has to be reset by turning the unit off then on again. The other
problem is when the receiver is off it will turn on without sound unexpectedly.

Anyone ever see this problem before?

Thanks,
Carl

I'm having this same problem except it shuts off and turns back on a few seconds later. Also if I leave it on for an extended period of time it will over heat and change to FM radio playing a really loud static sound.

It sounds like a totally different problem than the OP posted about 18 years ago....

Could be flaky micro, noisy/erratic lv supplies, contaminated control panel etc.

I believe this is the one where a ground wire needs to be run from the
display circuit board to the chassis. Sometimes a ground wire also
has to be run from the tuner board to the chassis. These problems do
cause micro lock up , tuner noise, eratic operation and other
symptoms. Chuck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I think everyone is overthinking this one. First check to be sure that the protection relay is good. If the unit works longer with higher volumes, the relay is usually the cause of the cutouts.

overheating.

Check for frayed and potential crossed wires at the speaker connections. A single strand may not be enough to cause the short detector to kick in, but enough to bring down the impedence to make the amp work too much.

Given the age of this unit, I would start by checking the entire unit for poor/cold solder joints. Continued use of this with heatup/cooldown cycles will crystalize these connection over time. Look carefully at the end joints at the display. This is a common area for poor connections.

Try these and post any updates.

Dan

Sony Fm-Am receiver, Str-D615 [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 February 21st 14 04:27 PM
Sony Surround Receiver Frederic B. Electronics Repair 2 September 29th 06 09:58 PM
Sony receiver Michael Fiedler Electronics Repair 3 March 25th 06 09:30 PM
Sony receiver! Rono Electronics Repair 2 June 6th 05 02:51 PM
Sony STR-D990 Receiver orangetrader Electronics 0 December 24th 04 09:12 AM