Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Minor Gloat

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
On 1/3/2015 6:38 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Here's some other fun stuff from China:

My package today:
http://www.amazon.com/CR-Magnetics-R.../dp/B006K3O1MY

I bought the amber ones, to put on heater thermostats. These two
turn
on dimly at 0.4~ 0.5A AC.

So, the LED's show when the heaters are on. Why do you want to know
that? Just curious.

Bob

The behavior of the thermostats isn't obvious. The bathroom one has a
shutoff near fully CCW that makes no sound, so I can't tell if it's
off or set low, or couldn't until this morning. It appears to have an
internal anticipator which causes the room temperature to slowly
stairstep up over an hour or so; at first it shuts off at 60, but an
hour later it's still cycling and the room is at 68.
http://homerepair.about.com/od/heati...nticipator.htm
Maybe the old idea of setting the thermostat to 80F to make a cold
house warm up faster had some merit?

I'm datalogging the current to other one and room temperature, with no
other heat source. So far it looks like a single ~700W radiator can
hold the house at 50F. Outside is at 3F now and dropping. Tomorrow
morning I should know if that radiator is an adequate automatic backup
to the wood stove and how much it costs to run. Last winter the
weather warmed before I completed the datalogging setup.
-jsw