Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Minor Gloat

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 06:15:25 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 05:49:58 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 15:22:10 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 09:44:04 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 10:21:38 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 01/04/2015 10:06 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Verily. Fluke is very proud of their (very good) stuff. ...

Keep watching eBay...it won't get to the HF pricing, but I've bought a
couple Fluke meters for _VERY_ reasonable prices...about 10c on the
dollar at the low end; about 25% retail/new for the more expensive/exotic.

Just probes and the like generally are pretty cheap w/o the instrument
altho I've not bought Fluke-branded I've bought quite a few
Tektronix...you do have to be patient sometimes, though, so if it's an
immediate need that can't wait isn't always the option.

Ayup. Got a lot of my Fluke on Ebay for pennies on the dollar.

Yeah, but so much of that stuff is abused so badly, it's worth only
those pennies. It too often takes luck to get a good one.

Actually..with good quality DVMs..if it looks reasonably good..it
probably isnt abused.
As you know/seen..Ive got a fair bit of electronic test
equipment...and the Fluke stuff I have mostly came from either
auctions or Ebay..and Ive never lost a meter to failure. I did drive
over one once...sigh.

Ouch! That was a fluke. (sorry)

Now the Simpson 260s...did I show you the drawer filled with them?
Most with the bakelite cases epoxied back together? I think the only
one I have that is close to pristine..is the nylon body one. 260-8P as
I recall..???

I remember the old Simpsons from school. Solid analog bastids.

Someday Ill find one of the rolltop carrying cases and put one back on
the road. They are much better for the kinds of work I do than DVMs

Someday Ill get a solid state scope there as well, unless I can find
one at an auction.

Anybody passing this way..Ive got more scopes than I need.....

I forgot to ask if you had the Tek 422 manual when I was there. The
intensity pot is flaky (open), but it will work in several spots. The
Tek was calling out to me "Calibrate me!" as I cleaned and put a new
pair of probes on 'er.

http://elektrotanya.com/tektronix_42.../download.html

http://exodus.poly.edu/~kurt/mmm/tek-422.pdf

All that doc stuff is easily availble free on the net.

Got it from Mikey's link, but thanks. Much better than paying some
leech $60 for one. I applaud Ig and these folks for making so many
manuals available.

I gave you your choice of at least 4 other scopes...but no..you had
to have "that" one!! (Grin)

g Yeah, I guess it felt familiar for some reason.

Open the critter up and spray the intensity pot with tuner cleaner.
Good first start.

Yeah, I'll have to do that and see if I can refurb the batteries. Got
any tips there?

Oh, do you have the face cover, by any chance?

Nope..not for that one. Many of the others..but not that. Ebay is
about your best bet. Some collectors will have some..expect to pay
$10-50 though from them. Ebay...shrug

12w LED security lights:
I think the 100k resistors (didn't have 220k) across the input fixed
the strobing on the LEDs. They're out there on the wall again and not
flashing. Once it's fully dark out there, I'll see fer sher. The
lamps unscrew and I could run the resistor right across the PCB at the
leads to the base.

Happy zapping!!

It worked. No more strobing. It'll cost me about $0.06 a month,
though, at 1.2mA, unless the triac leakage which turns it on limits
that, which is fairly certain. I'll have to do that with the rest,
too, then test them in my dimmer circuit. It may be the only thing
which separates the two, dimmable from non-dimmable, at least in the
cheap Chiwanese lights. Who knows?

Still amazed at the 520lumen output from 6 watts. I LOVE LEDs!

Im looking at some 30' coils on ebay and pondering doing the cabins of
the sailboats in 4' strips

Now which ones do I want? The 5020s?

I want red and white strips.

Gunner