Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Minor Gloat

On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 07:11:22 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 18:38:21 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Here's some other fun stuff from China:

My package today:
http://www.amazon.com/CR-Magnetics-R.../dp/B006K3O1MY

I bought the amber ones, to put on heater thermostats. These two
turn
on dimly at 0.4~ 0.5A AC.

Too bad you have to shut off the power/remove the cord/disassemble
the
circuit to install those. Handy gadgets, tho.

That's hardly an unreasonable burden for someone who spent his career
building and repairing electronics.

True. g But in some cases, it's an extreme hassle to install one
where you want it. I looked into current sensing to automate my dust
collection system for the shop and it looked like more hassle than it
was worth.

This is a semi-permanent
installation until I need them elsewhere. I had been using a Fluke
clamp-on current probe extended upstairs from the breaker box with an
extension cord but it's a tripping hazard, and the Fluke is too
expensive to suggest buying new.

Verily. Fluke is very proud of their (very good) stuff. I'll be
investing a full $11.99 at HF for a clamp-on current probe DVM later
this week.

Oh, my new 12w LEDs are very, very bright but only take 5w of current.
Hmm... Typical Chiwanese power/Sears horsepower stats, wot? The
funny thing is that the 4-LED 12-watters take less power than the
older 3-LED 9w (7w draw) spots I bought a couple years ago, and
they're considerably brighter. Alas, when I went out to get the
Sunday paper last night (he delivers between 9:30 and 10pm), I noticed
that my new, bright spots were strobing once per second. sigh I
wonder if the trick I used for the CFLs will work he Addition of a
220kohm resistor across the mains.

--
All I want is a warm bed,
a kind word, and