Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Minor Gloat

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 6:41:38 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

. Dan , I have a bearing race
that's pressed into a hole in a Harley 3 speed case . That race was
perfectly fitted to the clutch gear before I pressed it into the case . Now
it's out of round ... thus the need to lap the race . I'm wondering if it's
worth the trouble of peressing it back out to check the hole and the race .
Might be that the race is perfect and the hole is out of round , might be
variations in the thickness of the race . Either way it's unacceptable as-is
with OOR .0015" total
Should I decide to lap it in place , what material do you suggest for the
lap ? I have on hand lead , wheel weight material , aluminum , and several
grades of steel . I can cast anything but the steel directly onto a mandrel
for machining to maintain concentricity - I will be using a guide bushing on
the other side of the case to maintain alignment . I started an adjustable
lap set several years ago , but it never really worked out like I wanted .. I
did learn a lot though !
--
Snag

I would press the race out of the housing. The race is not likely to have been out of round or have variations in the thickness. So I suspect the hole is not round.

I am not an expert on laps and lapping. What I read is that the lap must be softer than the metal being lapped. That is so the abrasive embeds in the lap and cuts the metal. So what is the Harley case made of? I suspect aluminum so you would want something softer than aluminum. So lead or wheel weight material. I think most wheel weights are now Zinc and could be too hard. That assumes you are lapping the hole and not the race. If you lap the hole , you may need to use locktite compound when you put the race back in. I am pretty sure they have a compound for seating bearings. yes, they have several retaining compounds.

Dan