Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default Does anyone still use that PAPER sheetrock tape?

| Unfortunately for most of the respondents opinions , paper tape IS
| superior to any mesh WHEN PROPERLY APPLIED .

You don't say on what basis you make that claim.
What do you feel is superior about paper tape, other
than perhaps price? And why would you use only
straight compound when you can get a far stronger
result with durabond?

I've been doing drywall, off and on, since 1980 and
have dealt with a lot of old drywall. I usually do the
drywall myself unless there's enough new construction
to justify getting a plasterer. (I've never actually called
in drywallers. Only plasterers.) I don't remember ever
seeing any problems with mesh tape other than cases
where it wasn't fully covered over. I have seen a lot of
faulty, popping paper tape jobs. I've also seen a lot
of water damage, which tends to curl and pop the
paper tape, requiring more repair than if it had been
mesh tape.