Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default Does anyone still use that PAPER sheetrock tape?

Does anyone still use that PAPER sheetrock tape?
After reading the thread on here about the peeling tape, I was wondering
if it was the paper stuff?

I used that junk years ago, and always had problems with it coming
loose. Then I found the mesh tape, which is some sort of plastic
material and comes with a self adhesive. That is all I have used since.
That stuff dont peel. I think that paper was a poor product right from
the start. But I guess that is all they had years ago.

I dont do much sheet rock work, but I intend to do some this winter to
get rid of some ugly paneling in a room, and I want to do it the best
way. That's if I dont put up the sheetrock myself, and hire a company
to tape it. I've always hated taping sheetrock, not to mention the mess
it makes all over the house with dust. I think the pros have some sort
of method to vacuum up the dust as they sand it. I'd rather pay them,
than have to spend weeks cleaning the house afterwards.

Either way, I dont want that paper tape. Most of it dont adhere well,
because the holes in it are too small for the joint compound to form a
bond. That mesh seems much more practical.

On the other hand, I wish they made sheetrock that did not have the
indented edges. I'd probably just put up the sheetrock and just put a
thin molding over the seams.