Andrew Heggie

Default Firewood loads and weights

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:39:51 -0000, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

Having invested in a proper fire I am trying to compare different suppliers
of logs.

Is a "load" normally ~ a ton?

Seldom retail, wholesale tends to be in tonnes and lots of 25tonnes
(green) delivered hardwood ~GBP28/tonne.

How many 8" logs (all other things being average) would one expect in a load
(roughly, obviously)?

It's a bit risky buying by the log, it depends how small they are
split. The chap I work for sell dumpy bags (0.7m3) at GBP30 ex yard,
they weigh about 300kg but about 40% of this is water, with the
notable exception of ash, I know as I put them through the firewood
dryer and re weighed them (plus took a small sample down to oven dry).

In general split hardwood logs jumbled into a container occupy less
than 50% of the space, the rest is air in between. Also, but this last
summer may prove the exception, very little drying takes place in
cordwood after the first few weeks of felling. The bark keeps moisture
in and the moisture takes a while to diffuse out of the ends. Most
firewood merchants store wood in the cord and process it just prior to
delivery.

Weight for weight when dried to similar moisture contents softwood has
the edge on calorific value, however it starts much wetter and is more
bulky.

I still have the A3 fact sheet (4 sides A4) produced by the Forestry
Commission (1985) I could send in exchange for a modest donation to
red cross or medecin sans frontiers to cover postage.

AJH