Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Generac 8Kw generator balky start and transfer switch makesclicking sounds

On Sunday, December 21, 2014 1:18:23 PM UTC-5, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

It's also listed
in the table there with a 3 word description "set .... switch".

It says "SET EXERCISE SWITCH".

SW2B connects transformer T1 to the Control Logic PCB. T1 output might
be rectified and used to charge the battery while on shore power, but
does not seem to be documented.

Fred

I see how one wire goes from that switch to the Xformer, another wire
to the control board, another to the battery. I can't make out from the
pic what kind of switch it even is, single pole, double throw? It would
be bizarre for it to connect the Xformer to the battery, as there is
no rectification there, ie it's AC. And "set exercise" would seem to
mean that all it does is enable the weekly startup, or somehow let you
program how often it does that.

IDK what's going on, but from what I see, I agree it's not clear that
it does maintain the battery. I'd say more likely it doesn't at this
point, but then who knows. You would think having the generator maintain
the battery would be a standard feature, important to have, easy to implement,
etc. So, I would think they would all likely have it, but as I said,
all I know is what you do, ie that some of them definitely have it. D's
is an older one. The one I have experience with is under 10 years old.

It really doesn't matter, more of a curiousity at this point.