Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Generac 8Kw generator balky start and transfer switch makes clickingsounds

On 12/20/2014 5:22 PM, Danny D. wrote:
Fred McKenzie wrote, on Sat, 20 Dec 2014 14:16:45 -0500:

So the battery is apparently charged when the generator is running. It
is not clear if it is also charged through one of the three transfer
switch connections. SW2 may be an option you can set to allow that, but
I did not see any mention in the manual.

Hi Fred,
Thanks for confirming that information from the schematic in the
owners manual.

For others to see that schematic, I've converted the entire 32
page PDF manual to JPG using the following Linux command:
$ convert -density 300 generac_9067-9.pdf generac_9067-9.jpg

While all 32 pages were uploaded, the specific page 12 Fred speaks
about is located at the URL below (rotated sideways for convenience):
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7540/1...beb6437a_b.jpg

Apparently some Generac models do charge the battery when running and
others do not. My manual states:

The generator is equipped with a battery trickle charger that is active
when the unit is set up for automatic operation. With the battery
installed and utility power source voltage available to the transfer
switch, the battery receives a trickle charge while the engine is not
running, to prevent self-discharge. The trickle charger is designed to
help extend the life of the battery by maintaining the battery when the
unit is not running. The trickle charge feature cannot be used to
recharge a discharged battery. No battery charging occurs when the
generator is providing power."

Sorry I assumed that your 8KW unit charges the same as my 7KW unit.
Apparently it does not.