Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generac 8Kw generator balky start and transfer switch makes clicking sounds

On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 23:18:29 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Smarty wrote, on Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:45:09 -0500:

As Trader correctly states, the battery is charged whenever the main AC
power to the generatyor is present, not when the generator is running.

I just re-read the manual and there's nothing, either way, about
the charging circuit for the battery.

It should be described in the weekly "exercise" or "battery maintenance"
sections, but it's not.

Also, if there is a charging circuit, it's not obvious in the schematic
diagrams. If there is the requisite 240VAC to ~15VDC "charger", that's
not obvious in the machine either - as the control circuitry is pretty
simple (one small circuit board for the entire generator).

So, while I "doubt" that the battery is charged by a power supply
connected to the 240VAC (or even the 120VAC half), the question deserves
a definitive answer, which I will get from Generac and report back.

Very easy to get a definitive answer. Connect your volt meter. What
is the reading??? Above 12.2 volts??? then it is being charged without
the engine running.