Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Generac 8Kw generator balky start and transfer switch makes clickingsounds

On 12/18/2014 7:29 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:17:31 AM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:
trader_4 wrote, on Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:58:44 -0800:

It's being charged/maintained 24/7 by the generator controller using
AC line power. It doesn't need the generator running to charge it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I think the battery is *only* charged
by the generator (not by line voltage).

To only charge it with the battery would be a bad design. It's
typically charged by both AC and the generator, if the generator is
running.

I don't see a ~120V to ~14V inverter anywhere.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7518/1...5313e933_b.jpg

As I said before, it's part of the control electronics. If you're
that interested, go find a schematic or read the repair/operation
manual.

As Trader correctly states, the battery is charged whenever the main AC
power to the generatyor is present, not when the generator is running.

In fact, long periods of the generator running can result in a low /
dead battery the next time you need it to restart the generator.

Putting a new battery in after 4 years is, as someone else stated, a
NO-BRAINER. Running a standby generator with an old battery, oil sludge,
dirty filters, etc. just makes absolutely no sense at all to me........