Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Generac 8Kw generator balky start and transfer switch makesclicking sounds

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:47:47 AM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:46:33 -0500:

we'll decide if he's old enough to pull spark plugs.

Speaking of spark plugs, I finally got the boots off.
The originals, which were in great shape, are Champion
RC12YC, so I bought the correct spark plugs after all
(assuming the old plugs are the correct size).
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7534/1...b9347cb2_b.jpg

It wasn't the rubber that was holding it on, but it was
the rubber which was acting like a spring when I was
pulling very hard and then letting go. Unfortunately the
spark plug removal tool was useless because it wasn't
bent right and the ends are far too thick to be useful:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7481/1...95e8cac9_b.jpg

I think it was only the metal clip that was holding on to
the spark plug like you can't believe. It was as clean as
new inside, so, there was no corrosion visible anywhere.

So that it's easier, next time, to remove them. I spurted
a dollop of electrical dialectric grease into the boot,
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7517/1...619b5404_b.jpg

I also lightly covered the spark plug threads with gray
anti-seize, and carefully replaced the spark plug, knowing
that anti-seize is often not recommended and understanding
why (having read the cautionary reports of mis-torque & misfire).

I then disconnected the generator's breakers to the house,
and switched the generator to "Manual", and it started up
smoothly and quite nicely, purring like a kitten. Much
better than before.

That felt good!

Now all I have left to do is fix the damaged wires.

Given that you ran it with virtually no oil and what was in there
was probably molasses, I'd do another oil change after running it
for an hour or so.