Posted to alt.home.repair

Default USA normalizes relations with Cuba

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 01:49:46 +0100, nestork
wrote:

Yeah, I expect the first big change in America as a result of
normalizing relations with Cuba will be a flood of 1957 Chevrolet
Impalas and 1956 Ford Fairlanes up for sale in Used Car Buyer's Guides.

Not a chance - and believe me, even the best of them would take a lot
of work to get them back to original, or even in many cases,
acceptable shape. I've seen many and ridden in several of them.
1959 ford custom with straight axle, like a gasser, and a russian
tractor diesel engine with a pretty good 10 foot paint job in every
day taxi service with over 4 million miles on the clock. A 55 chevy
with a Mercedes 200 diesel and the bodywork perforated like a sand
sifter. Mileage unknown. And a couple nice 1940's chevy fleetbacks in
Havana. Some other pretty nice looking cars, but the vast majority are
not what they look like.
Cuban law will not allow their export, and the prices they were
changing hands at in Cuba would buy a fully restored or nice
pro-touring modified stateside,