Chuck

Default Toxic wood

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:24:37 -0700, "Darren"
hurled these words of wisdom into the ether:

Wow - rough day at the office?

Nope, just sounded to me like you were making a potentially dangerous,
(to you or anyone who might use your anecdotal deduction as "advice"),
assumption based on insufficient information. Didn't want to see you
or anyone else use that deduction in making their own diagnosis or,
worse yet, pass it on to someone else (not on the newsgroup) who
might be inclined to.

I was just deducing what seemed logical that there would be a correlation
between breathing reactions (from molds etc) and your skin because that is
how they test it.

Well, if you had said it "seemed logical," I would likely not have
said anything, but what you actually said was "There is some truth to
skin reaction to breathing reaction," which, you'll admit, has
somewhat of a ring of authority to it.

At what point can I tell people what wood
turning technique worked for me?

No point getting snide about it...rememeber, I can't see your face or
hear the tone of your voice to detect the implied "seems to," any more
than you can see my face or hear my voice to know I'm not "scolding."

Your comment, which was wrong and might have confused someone else who
didn't know better, was written _as if_ you were speaking from a
position of expertise. I simply wanted to disabuse you of the notion
that there was such a connection between the two.

The whole idea of newsgroups is that it
allows people to share similar experiences and talk about what they did and
maybe even offer an opinion on what they liked and what worked best for
them, stir thought etc.

That's true, and I'm certainly not about throttling the sharing of
information and experience. (Which was not how that was presented,
BTW) But in dealing with pretty well-established medical facts, it's
probably not all that wise to "suppose" and "deduce" things that might
cause death to the unwary or undue stress to those who have no need to
stress out, and stick to the medical literature rather than anecdotal
"evidence."

I guess one advice I would give ... you might want to stay out of the
alt.support.cancer type newsgroups, because there they share similar
experiences and talk about what they did and offer advice on what they did
and didn't like. You could be setting people straight all day long if you
went to a newsgroup like that.

A whole different ball of wax, I should imagine, and far more of a
range of prognosis, diagnosis and efficacy of treatment than dealing
with the difference between wood allergies and anaphylaxis.

The funny thing - if I would have said "There SEEMS TO BE some truth to skin
reaction to breathing reaction", the need to scold \ set straight would not
have happened.

Precisely so. Which is why I was so adamant about it. But don't
mistake my adamance for "scolding." I don't scold people, but I can
and do get passionate when I feel something is important enough, and I
thought your incorrect correlation warranted it. My apologies if you
felt unduly or unfairly chastised.

Probably if I hadn't said, "... before you offer any medical advice,"
you wouldn't have said anything either...

; ^ )

-
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(dot)com
ANTI-SPAM Sig - Remove NOSPAM from email to reply

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget