Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OLED Televisions.

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Notice these are being promoted. Are they a true LED TV, or just LCD
with LED backlight?

"OLED TV" generally means "every pixel is an LED" - like say a
smartphone.

It may mean that in practice - but there's no fundamental reason why OLED
can't be used as a backlight.

Of course - I was making an observation about the way the term seems to
be used by marketing droids.

My Samsung phone is OLED (as the last one was, Galaxy S2 then Note 3).
It's got a brilliant little display - way in excess of what any LCD
could achieve.

But little is the operative word. It would be great to have a 42" TV
with the same display tech but I would assume right now that's going to
cost a small fortune.

As "OLED" is marketed as "super premium LED display" it would be risky
to pollute the term for mere backlighting.

"LED TV" is often gratuitously misused to mean "LED backlit LCD" which
have some advantages as they can modulate the LED backlighting by region
to achieve better contrast, but is not true LED.

It would be equally possible to make a TV using conventional LEDs - as
some display screens do. Technology may allow this for domestic screens
one day - who knows?

Having looked at the LG OLED spec, it's interesting it uses an extra white
LED rather than just RGB, which suggests the colorimetry of the RGB might
not be ideal.

I wonder if we are going down the route of printing and eventually we'll
have several intermediate colours on the really high end displays?