Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Belt/Disk sander reviews

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 21:15:18 -0500, Bill

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 03:11:47 -0500, Bill

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 22:00:20 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

woodchucker wrote in news:6oGdnbZAT_hpDRHJnZ2dnUU7-
:

The rigid is not a cheap tool. It's got an induction motor not universal
and is surprisingly well made.
Ridgid (two "d"s *) power tools are a bit unpredictable. Most of
them are made by Ryobi, I beleive, with corresponding quality.
Not really (made by Ryobi). Both are made by the parent company, TTI,
(the other name in the TTI group is "Milwaukee"). Ryobi is meant for
the low-end consumer market, while Ridgid is intended for the higher
end consumer and low end contractor. Milwaukee, of course, is
intended for the pro-sumer or industrial markets.

A few of them are made by other vendors (some might even be
made by Emerson Electric, who actually own the Ridgid name and
make the Ridgid plumbers tools), which sometimes means a higher
spec tool.
AIUI, Ridge (Emerson) owns the (Ridge and Ridgid) trademarks but
they're licensed to TTI, who actually manufactures most of the tools.

The tool biz is really convoluted.

Just adding to what you wrote:

In 2014, Tenex Capital Management New York City, NY acquired the JET,
POWERMATIC AND WILTON brands from Walter Meier and changed the company
name to JPW Industries where they continue to grow and outperform their
competition with innovative, quality products and services.

As if you didn't know, all of this consolidation is no good for us!

I'm not convinced. It's better that there is a consolidation than all
of these companies disappearing. The market isn't huge.

Several of Delta's products seems to have virtually (and absolutely)
disappeared since they got consolidated.
I've noticed the absence of their 8" jointer and a couple of their
sanders, and there is most-likely more.

More evidence that the market can't support all of the existing
brands.

I have Not observed the presence of a Festool OSS! : )
(especially one that wasn't plastic!)
Carvers, if you used an OSS to "cut close" would you expect the sand
paper to leave grit in the wood and dull your carving tools (just curious)?

Bill