Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_3_] bert[_3_] is offline

Default Siemans Wireless Thermostat System - Fit for purpose?

In message id, Jeremy
Nicoll - news posts writes
naffer wrote:

The fitter called & confirmed that it was probably a "sticky relay" & said
that since Siemens don't sell the receiver unit alone he would have to
replace to thermostat & receiver. He charged over £100 for this wisdom.

I'm not sure I'd pay that much for diagnosis of a fault (or confirmation of
a suspected cause) for something that should still be working only 2-3 years
after it was fitted. (And, if your daughter's had problems for a while, it
may be towards the 2-year point).

I'd be inclined to pay much less, maybe £25, and make it clear that as you
reasonably think the fitter should replace the non-working part at his
expense (and he can pursue recompense from his supplier in his own time)
that that is as far as your (or your daughter's) goodwill extends.

... unless he's got her over a barrel for future support?

A call to the CAB or Trading Standards might be a good idea.

Amused by the fitter's observation that the relay is the failing unit &
could have some dust in it, I took the failing Siemens receiver apart.
The relay is a sealed component and I suppose I could unsolder it &
replace, fixing it seems a bit extreme. He was talking ********...

and it will do no harm to pass that info on to Trading Standards...

unless, of course he knew that Siemens were buying sealed relays from
dusty Chinese Cos.

with that proviso, of course!

It might be worth contacting Siemens
--