Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Belt/Disk sander reviews

"Bill" wrote in message

"Stupid" disk sander question (this thread seems like a good place for
it).
Are there wood sanding applications where a smaller, less powerful disk
sander works better than a larger more powerful one?

For instance, 9" 3/4-HP, versus 12" 1 HP.

I know sandpaper would be cheaper for the smaller one, but that's not
what I'm talking about. Clearly the larger disk gives you more working
room, but is there a downside to it (besides the higher cost per sheet
of abrasives)?

Well, the outside three inches will be moving farther in a given time but
I don't know if that is a benefit or vice versa.

Most disk sanders seem to be about 3500 rpm; at that speed, it is easy to
burn wood, need to have a light touch which is easy enough to do. Still,
I'd rather have one that is doing 1750 rpm; trouble is, they charge more
for them, no idea why.

Somewhere in this thread - I think it was this thread, I've sorta lost
track - someone mentioned the nuisance factor of changing grit on a
disk sander. True. The solution is, put on an 80 grit disk and never
change it until it is worn out then stick on a new 80 grit, on top of the
old one or on the plate, your choice.

--

dadiOH