Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Belt/Disk sander reviews

"Stupid" disk sander question (this thread seems like a good place for it).

Are there wood sanding applications where a smaller, less powerful disk
sander works better than a larger more powerful one?

For instance, 9" 3/4-HP, versus 12" 1 HP.

I know sandpaper would be cheaper for the smaller one, but that's not
what I'm talking about. Clearly the larger disk gives you more working
room, but is there a downside to it (besides the higher cost per sheet
of abrasives)?

I'm sure in this case that the 12" unit is built to higher standards:
has a nicer table and is "industrial strength". But that's sort of a
different question. They probably make industrial strength 3/4hp 9" disk
sanders too; I just haven't seen them where I shop.

Bill