Chuck

Default Toxic wood

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:37:38 -0700, "Darren"
hurled these words of wisdom into the ether:

There is some truth to skin reaction to breathing reaction.

Actually, there isn't.

When you go in to find out allergies (cat, dog, trees, molds etc), they put
a "solution" on your arm. If it reacts (rash) then they know you are
allergic to it.

This adds weight to the old adage, "A little knowledge is a dangerous
thing." Yes, they do skin tests for allergies. However, the reaction
you have to wood, whereby your skin breaks out in an irritating rash
after exposure to its dust is called "contact dermatitis." With this
reaction, "There are no circulatory or otherwise detectable antibodies
produced." http://www.telemedicine.org/sensitiz.htm

The reasons that contact dermatitis (which is localized) is NOT
indicative of an anaphylactic reaction (which is systemic and involves
the production of histamines) are too numerous to mention, but you and
anyone else who confuse the two would be doing yourselves and others a
favor to do some research before you offer any medical advice.

You can start here
http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/anaphalaxis.html
where there is a good, layman's-terms explanation of anaphylaxis, its
causes, symptoms, prevention and treatment, including what does and
doesn't cause it.

And no, I'm NOT a doctor, and I am NOT offering medical advice. The
only advice I'm giving is to not give or take medical advice from
anyone other than your doctor. Besides, if you go into anaphylactic
shock, you WILL know it, and you won't confuse it with a little
dermatitis.
-
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(dot)com
ANTI-SPAM Sig - Remove NOSPAM from email to reply

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget