Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air powered booster pump?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 20:19:48 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

On 12/14/2014 8:07 AM, wrote:
Trucks, Freightliner, Volvo, Kenworth, etc, normally have air
system
set @120psi or so.

I've found the highest I can inflate the tires using the truck
air system & a 50' hose is 97-98psi.

Need a bit more. Looking for 115psi on the steers(cold) & 105psi
on
the drives.

Was wondering if an air powered booster pump would be possible?

Say, 50% of the airstream as high-pressure supply, and the rest to
drive the booster?

If not practical, any easier/better way?

thanks

gary

A long hose with small center hole is a high resistance.
If you have joint leaks, the pressure will drop before you
get to use it. You are dropping (maybe ) 20 PSI in the hose.
Try a larger ID hose with fewer connections.

Martin, the resistance in the hose is only during full flow.
Give it 5 seconds and the full pressure hits the far end.
It's the law!

Does the pump put out 120 really ?

Good question. Gauge error?

The tire pressure is 30PSI when the gauge on my inflater shows 35PSI,
with its trigger handle off. The inflater gauge has a non-standard
thread, else I would have replaced it.

As a cross check I measure and record tread depth when I swap winter
and summer tires, and keep track of which position they came off last
time with rf, lf, rr, lr marked inside the center hole cap.

-jsw