Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Generac 8Kw generator balky start and transfer switch makesclicking sounds

Terry Coombs wrote, on Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:40:24 -0600:

Get a Wix filter , they're the best in the business - Fram is crap .

Interestingly, the filter that was on there was Wix.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8570/1...a4e2fb07_b.jpg

I'm still confused why there are TWO oil filler caps, one of which
is seemingly on the head on top of one of the cylinders:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8681/1...0ab1d788_b.jpg

It took me a while to realize there was an oil-drain hose, tucked
away *behind* the filter:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7544/1...1057e677_b.jpg

The really bad news is that nowhere near 1.5 quarts came out:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7514/1...82feb6ba_c.jpg

So, from the start, the generator was very low on oil:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7514/1...9fb6228e_b.jpg

Does anyone know why there are *two* oil filler caps?
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8569/1...105db40a_c.jpg