Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Belt/Disk sander reviews

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

It wasn't a direct apples-to-apples comparision. But I thought that
the MasterForce 6"-belt x 9" disk sander looked more robust
than the Ridgid, and it was on sale for $20 less than the Ridgid
unit. Here's another fact,
the nearest Ridgid "Customer Service Center" is at a rental-station
store more than 50 miles from Indianapolis. What does that
say about how much they care about their customers?
Good observation Bill but that begs a whole lot of different
questions. Most retailers have a limit on how long you can return a
product to them - usually not for the duration of the warranty. Usually
more like 90 days or so. With Ridgid products, the warranty
is lifetime - even on batteries, if applicable. So the retail
warranty usually means that at some point you are haveing to returen
your product to the manufacturer - and at that, for a limited time. With
Ridgid, it's lifetime, even if that means you might have to
somehow get the product to an authorized repair center.

Yes, the 100+ mile round trip would make me want to throw the unit in
the garbage (they probably count on that). Oh, that would likely be two
100+ mile round trips, wouldn't it? Jet's customer service center is
local. Lots of people say Ridgid won't repair a "bent/wobbly spindle"
either. It falls under normal wear, abuse, or something along those lines.

Cheers,
Bill