Arch

Default Bowl Gouge grind angle

Hi Dennis Sr,
Obviously you know how to grind and sharpen edge tools and how to use
them. Your question is both proper and welcome here and I hope my reply
is also.

As you know, your question is a common one and answered differently in
books, tapes, magazines and almost daily on net sites. Turner friends
offer (demand?) to share their revelations. Although their opinions
differ as day to night, each is held with a death grip by their
proponent. Does make one wonder about authority, rules, always and
nevers for woodturning?

We turners generally fall into groups of bevel & edge true believers,
but no matter how much we want to believe in our particular guru and
submit to his/her authority, we usually end up finding out for
ourselves what works.Then as experts we the chosen go out with zeal and
conviction to preach our (egocentric, Chuck?) truth.

Within reason and common sense, innovation and 'trying it for ourselves
to see if it works' is safe, economical and easy to do. This is fun and
one of the attractions of woodturning. IOW, you ought to _Ask, But
Verify_!

For help in comparing and deciding on the 'best' tools and accessories
for deep hollowing, I suggest the excellent reviews of Lyn Mangiameli.
Find them in rcw's archives or Fred Holder's "More Woodturning". I
happen to enjoy making and using inserted bit scrapers/cutters ground to
41.2345andsometimes6 deg., but I'm not forcing you. Darrell Feltmate
has full instructions on his site. There are many other good sites plus
you should get lots of opinions here. Please let us know who you end up
believing in and follow as a loyal disciple. Happy hollowing, Arch

Fortiter,