George

Default Bowl Gouge grind angle

Remember, there are two ways to "rub a bevel." You can rub perpendicular
to the edge, or parallel. Catches happen when your deepest point of cut is
not the point where the edge exits the wood. This is visible as torn grain
in minor form, or as the big tilt when you get a dig.

More important than grind angle or type is to keep your toolrest as tight to
the work as you can to minimize the piece's leverage, and to present the
cutting edge only after you've steadied on the bevel. You can then hog if
you like, right on the fine edge of a catch to clear the interior, returning
to a cut to clear up the torn grain when you're close to final shape.

Take a peek at http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeor...ing_inside.htm for
an extremely aggressive method of removing the interior of a deeper piece,
regardless of grain orientation. Also Darrell's page, where he shows the
shorter, shallower version of a pointy gouge - an Oland tool
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/. Less grabby, but slower, of course. I do
my initial hollowing of vases and ornaments with pointy gouges, because with
the tool rest low, the shavings run down the flute, and I don't have to stop
and blow the scraper dust out.

On the subject of speed. As long as you're cutting wood rather than
bullying it, stay slow. Faster rotations produce greater kinetic energy
for a catch, without, in my opinion, speeding up stock removal enough to
compensate for the risk.

"Dennis W. Ewing Sr." wrote in message
I'm relatively new to turning. I got a lathe for Christmas and my table

saw
has turned into a table for the most part. I have a crown bowl gouge that

have modified the grind on the edges to cut down on catches. I am grinding
it at about 60 degrees now. I am wanting to do deeper bowls. More like
wooden vases actually. I know that I can make the grind steeper to go
deeper. What is the practical limit for the bevel? At 60 degrees I can't
seem to rub the bevel in anything over 3 inches deep. I really want to do
taller items. If there is a practical limit how do I hollow out a deeper
item?