Bill Rubenstein

Default Bowl Gouge grind angle

Also, Dennis, there are lots of turners in your area. If you are not in contact with them
you should be -- you will enjoy it. Check the AAW site for a link to your local chapter.

Bill

In article , says...
I'm relatively new to turning. I got a lathe for Christmas and my table saw
has turned into a table for the most part. I have a crown bowl gouge that I
have modified the grind on the edges to cut down on catches. I am grinding
it at about 60 degrees now. I am wanting to do deeper bowls. More like
wooden vases actually. I know that I can make the grind steeper to go
deeper. What is the practical limit for the bevel? At 60 degrees I can't
seem to rub the bevel in anything over 3 inches deep. I really want to do
taller items. If there is a practical limit how do I hollow out a deeper
item?

This turning thing is addictive. Am I going to have to find a 12 step
program? I can't seem to go more than a day without making shavings.