Bill Rubenstein

Default Bowl Gouge grind angle

Generally speaking, folks new to turning are encouraged to do more open bowls with sloped
sides and not too deep for exactly the reasons you state. The steeper the sides and the
deeper the piece, the harder it is to do.

What you use to turn deeper bowls partly depends if you are mounting the blank cross grain or
long grain.

On cross grain, some people grind a bowl gouge as you have suggested, with an angle close to
perpendicular to the tool with the left side or both sides ground back. The alternative is
to continue with large scrapers after you get to the point where your gouge no longer can be
rubbed properly.

On long grain, since you are hollowing from the center of the bowl (which has been center
drilled) you have more options. Richard Raffin might use his back-hollowing method with a
gouge as he does on boxes. It looks scary but can be learned if you can find somebody to
show you how to do it. Others use a gouge with a cut back left edge, working out from the
center to about 10 o'clock. There are also real specialties such as the Soren Berger tool.

Scrapers are also a possibility if you work from the center to the wall. One with a sharp
left corner can be used to nibble short cuts from center to wall.

Some people use the various shielded cutters.

In a word, the answer to your questions is -- get out the old credit card!

Bill

In article , says...
I'm relatively new to turning. I got a lathe for Christmas and my table saw
has turned into a table for the most part. I have a crown bowl gouge that I
have modified the grind on the edges to cut down on catches. I am grinding
it at about 60 degrees now. I am wanting to do deeper bowls. More like
wooden vases actually. I know that I can make the grind steeper to go
deeper. What is the practical limit for the bevel? At 60 degrees I can't
seem to rub the bevel in anything over 3 inches deep. I really want to do
taller items. If there is a practical limit how do I hollow out a deeper
item?

This turning thing is addictive. Am I going to have to find a 12 step
program? I can't seem to go more than a day without making shavings.