Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Tom Gardner Runs Ohio Brush Into The Ground

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 13:40:33 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 13:30:04 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 11:46:35 -0500, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 12/13/2014 8:01 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Me too, but I have a lot of trouble translating what I can
easily
visualize into words.
-jsw

I know what you mean. The answer is: Practice! I think that's
why
like to argue so much. To think of it, all my good friends are
"sparing
partners" and they have the same affliction. Another mechanism I
use is
to write stories, ones that no one will read but help me verbalize
situation or event. I dream of writing Science Fiction but
haven't
been
able to mentally create an interesting situation.

How are you at virtually "feeling" a mechanism at work? I can look
at
some mechanisms and feel them working. Sometimes it's painful.
Sometimes it's really pleasurable.

I'm not referring to electric dildoes, by the way. g

--
Ed Huntress

The first time I saw the cutaway of a Torsen differential in a
1960's
Popular Science it made no sense to me. A few years ago I opened
that
issue again and the gear operation was immediately obvious because I
could "see" the hidden back side of the helical gears, slanting in
the
opposite direction. Perhaps that came from machining experience.

-jsw

'Could be. Torsens are tricky.

--
Ed Huntress

This is the variable-speed supercharger drive for a WW2 fighter plane:
http://www.enginehistory.org/Accesso...dVSD/Fig05.jpg

-jsw

Thank God for 3D CAD drawings. g

--