Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default Choosing a kitchen faucet

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 18:09:23 -0500, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

I'm looking for a new kitchen faucet, to replace the mistake I bought a
year ago, that now leaks from a pinhole in the spout (which appears to
be die metal).

Requirements:

Single lever, like original Delta.

All water-contact components either brass or stainless steel (excluding
seals). This includes the spout.

I hear that. The new tin spouts are real dogs. If they don't break
when you hang a plastic bag on them, they rust out.

Have a separate side sprayer. (I have a 4-hole stainless steel sink.)

Polished chrome finish.

I switched to brushed stainless and am happier. Less polishing.

Wife prefers chrome.

Be large enough for the sink, but not huge (like those things used for
granite counters).

What I've found so far:

American Standard "Reliant" model 4205.001.002.

Delta model 175-DST.

Moen Commercial model 8707 (can be had with 9" or 12" spout, but 12"
seems too long).

My Pfister is 10" and isn't quite large enough for my double 15x15x8
brushed SS sink. I wish it were 12". Your mileage may vary.

I did find such a faucet, the Moen Commercial 8707, as mentioned above,
but that's the only one I've found. On my sink, 12" would be very
awkward, but 9" is just about perfect.

Questions:

What experience do people have with these and/or competing faucets?

A bit. What depth is your sink, how tall are the bottles and pans
that you fill, etc.? Height and reach matter.

My kitchen sink has a single well, 21" by 16" by 8".

What similar products not listed are there?

A few. I haven't looked at any recently, other than the little
import from Matco. It had a tin deck plate, but had a decent little
brass spout. Not bad for $39. I think it was this one, a small model
for an apartment sink. http://tinyurl.com/p3tt87y (pricey here)

When I replace my current faucet, it will be with one of the tall farm
style hooks, like this: http://tinyurl.com/o9gbw9y but without a
sprayer. And for better performance on my well pump, I modify the
aerators for better flow. I don't waste water, so I let it flow
quickly.

At about 18" high, this would look silly in my kitchen. Wife was very
definite about this.

The other problem with such faucets is the leverage on the sheet-metal
sink deck, which will bend, making the faucet feel floppy. These are
really designed to work with a granite or solid-surface countertop.

If one uses such a faucet on a stainless steel sink deck, one must
provide some kind of stiffener.

Also be aware that most sheet-metal sinks have 1.25" diameter holes,
while many faucets intended for countertop mount require 1.5" (to
accommodate the larger feed tubes needed to have adequate water flow).
The Miseno farm style hook faucet mentioned above does seem to
accommodate a 1.25" hole, so check if the water flow is adequate. The
goal is 2.2 gallons per minute.

Most sprayers made today are vacuum-deposited chrome covered plastic
and truly suck. Try to find a heavy-duty metal model for longer life
and better performance, or an old style bakelite sprayer. They last.
I'm ready to replace my sprayer with a soap dispenser, as I seldom use
the leaky plastic POS.

Well, I've had reasonable luck with those plastic sprayers. What
usually kills them is lime accumulation, so I have to replace them
every few years. A metal sprayer would be heavy, and wound still lime
up.

Currently, the American Standard "Reliant" model 4205.001.002 is in the
lead. One think I like is that it has the traditional hot and cold
feeds at the outside of the base plate. This is how the current faucet
is set up, simplifying installation. And, the presence of these brass
tails more or less ensures that the base is all brass, and strong, thus
stiffening the attachment to the sheet-metal sink deck.

Some faucets have these two brass tails, but have center feed, so they
have the stiffeners, but feed pipes would need rearrangement.

Joe Gwinn