Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Generac 8Kw generator balky start and transfer switch makesclicking sounds

On Friday, December 12, 2014 4:43:45 PM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:
trader_4 wrote, on Fri, 12 Dec 2014 08:10:22 -0800:

I would think the oil should be changed about once a year,
but I agree an oil change isn't the issue.

The manual says 50 hours in one place and every 100 hours
in another. The generator has over 500 hours, but, I didn't
put it all on (I don't remember how much I put on).

100 hours sounds about right. When I said once a year, I was
thinking that few of these home generators are going to run
enough in a year to reach an hour based number.
It should probably be changed once
a year anyway, regardless of usage. It starts up once a week as
a test and runs for like 10 mins, right? Doing that, sitting
outdoors, probably gets condensation into the oil, so changing it
once a year or so is probably a good idea.