Darren

Default Toxic wood

I don't know what kind of rosewood it was. I now stay away from it all
together. I am a tad paranoid now too when doing more exotic woods.

I know exactly what you are talking about in regard to the "rash" coming
back when I sweat or in the shower. It was like that way for months after
the rash, but now I don't think it happens any more (haven't noticed it any
ways).

To prevent this, I don't know if I would trust "barrier cream". Any little
spec that hit my skin seemed to irritate it. I "might" turn rosewood in
the future if I had a moon suit on ... even then, I would be hestitant
because the dust \ shavings would still be in my shop.

Darren

"Chuck" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:08:40 -0700, "Darren"
hurled these words of wisdom into the ether:

I had a BAD reaction to Rosewood when I put a piece of that on my lathe.

Was it an actual rosewood (dalbergia sp.) or one of the ersatz
rosewoods, like "Bolivian Rosewood" aka morado? The dalbergias don't
give me any problems...nor do any other woods...except for that
stinking Bolivian. That stuff made me break out exactly the same way
you appear to have. And to add insult to injury, the same areas that
were broken out before have become hyper-sensitized to heat/humidity,
so that when I come out of the shower, it looks like I was exposed all
over again, and my last exposure was many months ago.

-
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(dot)com
ANTI-SPAM Sig - Remove NOSPAM from email to reply

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget