Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Belt/Disk sander reviews

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Bill wrote:
Thinking a stationary belt/disk sander might be just the thing
for smoothing push sticks cut out of yellow pine with my band saw

snip
It's a classic POS product, IMHO.

Better to get a 12" disk sander and a separate spindle sander.

Even at H/F, you are looking at $140 apiece, but at least you
will have some decent equipment.

Lew

Tonight I worked my way from there. To the Ridgid oss/edge sander combo
tool ($200) which I looked at long enough
until it started seeming cheap (i.e. of somewhat low quality) to me.
Then up to the Jet benchtop 12" sander and OSS
which are about $1K for the two. The Jet OSS as well as the Ridgid OSS
both have mitered (tilting) tables. It seems like
a nice way to bevel off the corners (of many things). I will see how I
do first with the spokeshave and hand plane (as John suggested).
I am likely to enjoy the peace and quiet they offer.

Bill