Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Generac 8Kw generator balky start and transfer switch makesclicking sounds

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 12 Dec 2014 10:51:42 -0500:

I'm guessing you'll take pictures and post?

Yes, we'd make a good team (I was always on sports as a kid
and always a good team member).

As for the pictures, the clicking of the transfer switch
caught me offguard (i.e., sans camera), so I was only able
to get a 15 second video of the sound:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/15382730574/

I sent the video to Generac support, but they (predictably)
said they couldn't diagnose over email and offered to send
me to an authorized dealer.

Their manual is pretty bad, and must contain errors, as the
spark plug they suggest doesn't even exist:
Champion R12YC (there is no asterisk explanation either)
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7555/1...f881a281_b.jpg

Same with the oil, as the SAE340 grade doesn't exist either.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7487/1...7f552489_b.jpg

Similarly, what the heck is an "oil makeup tank"?
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7487/1...7f552489_b.jpg

I suspect all three are mistakes - but - it's a bummer having to
guess (I'm guessing RC12YC, SAE30, and that there is no such
thing as an "oil makeup tank", which doesn't show on any of the
exploded diagrams).