Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Belt/Disk sander reviews

Not sure its a good recommendation or not. I have a Makita belt sander. 4x24 inch I think. The big handheld belt sander. I have a wood contraption I can turn it over and use it as a stationary sander. Small stationary sander compared to the dedicated models. Kind of a dual purpose machine with the little homemade stand.

On Friday, December 12, 2014 1:15:55 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
Thinking a stationary belt/disk sander might be just the thing

for smoothing push sticks cut out of yellow pine with my band saw, I
started

reading reviews at HF on the 3.8 Amp one they have on sale for
$59.99.

I know this is a "mistake" (maybe, maybe not).*

I kept reading reviews, of all related units, 1/3 HP, 1/2 HP, 3/4
HP..., 1.5HP

(and even 2-3HP for people making knives, evidently they appreciate
the

*consistency* offered by greater power).

The only group that really seemed happy, leaving out the knife
makers, were

those that had the 1.5HP (say Jet, at $1400, with a closed stand).*
I guess this

is what is known as the "slippery slope".*

I could probably make due with my Nicholson rasp and sandpaper due
to my "low volume".

As Lew would say, my increased knowledge turned me into a "window
shopper"

for the moment.* I just thought I would see how happy people here
are with what

they are using (particularly if it's still available in the market
place).

Bill