Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default car auxhilliary heater

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:48:25 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
fred wrote:
We now offer a different system, auxiliary heating, which for some
vehicles in the range can be turned on shortly before departing via a
remote control to heat the cabin.

That sounds like a fuel burning cabin heater - the normal way of doing
things.

What ? My description of a large lump of aluminium heated by the engine
and which BMW UK say is correct ? Where is the fuel burning cabin heater
coming from ?

Sigh. Your description of a large lump of aluminium was never correct..

Sigh but my claim of the existence of this device was correct and your claim that it didn't exist was wrong.

I never claimed to know the ins and outs of the device or how it worked. I just said I remembered seeing one on an options list and remembering that the description included a reference to a large piece of aluminium. Perhaps I was incorrect in how I remembered how it worked but the point here is not that my memory may have failed on that but that you with you were completely wrong in stating it didn't exist, no matter how it worked.

You have spent your postings denying the existence of this because you had never heard of it, because your buddies on some forum had never heard it, because It didn't exist on any of the 'fully loaded' BMWs you have owned, (an amusing statement)Even when BMW UK confirmed its existence you still continued to deny it.

Auxilliary heating tends to mean an auxilliary heater. Not some form of
heat store. Which isn't going to work if the car is left unused for some
time - whereas an auxilliary heater can be used at any time.

Irrelevant to this discussion.

A post to the E39 forum - which has worldwide memembers, although the
majority in the US - had no one actually admitting to ever having seen
this device.

I always think these forums are full of fanboys and wannabees where
people have a sig alleging ownership of lots of goodies. I've no idea of
the membership of this E39 forum and how it relates to total ownership
of BMWs and what if any expertise its members actually have and how many
read your query and could give a fiddlers about replying to it, and why
would they have to 'admit' to owning it anyway

So you know nothing about this particular forum - but think it full of
'wannabees' or whatever?

Please re read what I said. I said 'These forums' I've seen enough of them to know what they are like not to have to visit every one. If this particular one is full of very reasoned debate amongst genuine cognoscenti then fair enough but it would be an exception.
Besides they weren't much cop in this instance were they ? They hadn't heard of this device. Your post elicited no response, therefore it didn't exist.. Not really very logical reasoning that, is it ?

So must admit to wondering if it is vapourwear?

Wonder again. Your vapourware has materialised.

snip

I'm sorry if I have offended your assumed expertise on all things BMW
but if you aren't prepared to accept that (a) I did actually see this on
a spec sheet (Why on earth would I make this up ?) and (b) BMW agree
that it did exist them I give up. The floor is yours.

You've never obviously had any dealing with BMW UK if you think them the
font of all knowledge.

Well only to the extent that I've been buying their cars for the last 20 years. I never claimed they were the font of all knowledge I merely posted a copy of my query and their answer.

You were the person insisting that because you hadn't heard of this device, nor had any of the vaunted experts on the E39 forum, therefore it couldn't exist. Except that it now transpires it did exist and you were utterly wrong

I'll give you just one example. Both the front struts on my E39 failed (at
different times) The platform that the spring sits on sheared off. Not
something you'd expect to see on any car no matter how old or even abused..
BMW UK denied all knowledge of such a design fault - yet in the US had
issued a re-call to add a clamp on bracket to strengthen this exact part.
When this was pointed out to them they bumbled on about US roads and usage
being different to the UK. Even tried to say the part was different -
until pointed out it had the same part number. Could give you plenty more
examples of them not knowing much about the cars they sell. And their
dealers are even worse..

..
Irrelevant to the subject at hand. I imagine it would take very little trouble to turn up examples of sterling service from BMW U.K.

--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Well you found your acorn didn't you. Now you know something you didn't when you started. Glad I could help you see.

I must confess I always considered your postings on this forum to be reasonable and informative. I don't know why you've gone ape on this one.

Pax vobiscum