Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default car auxhilliary heater

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 11:11:47 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
fred wrote:
his was my query to BMW U.K.

" can you help? I have a memory of an optional extra on the 5 series
some 15-20 years ago. It was basically a large piece of aluminium held
in the engine compartment and heated by the engine. This piece of
aluminium would retain some of this heat over night and thus give a more
comfortable start on a cold morning.

And this their reply:-

"Thank you for your online enquiry dated November 29, 2014.

I can advise that Yes this is correct. This feature was on the E39 5
Series (two generations ago) and was called a latent heater.

According to my info, it was not available in the UK. Or, apparently,
North America.

Well BMW UK must be telling porkies then.

We now offer a different system, auxiliary heating, which for some
vehicles in the range can be turned on shortly before departing via a
remote control to heat the cabin.

That sounds like a fuel burning cabin heater - the normal way of doing
things.

What ? My description of a large lump of aluminium heated by the engine and which BMW UK say is correct ? Where is the fuel burning cabin heater coming from ?

A post to the E39 forum - which has worldwide memembers, although the
majority in the US - had no one actually admitting to ever having seen
this device.

I always think these forums are full of fanboys and wannabees where people have a sig alleging ownership of lots of goodies. I've no idea of the membership of this E39 forum and how it relates to total ownership of BMWs and what if any expertise its members actually have and how many read your query and could give a fiddlers about replying to it, and why would they have to 'admit' to owning it anyway

So must admit to wondering if it is vapourwear?

snip

I'm sorry if I have offended your assumed expertise on all things BMW but if you aren't prepared to accept that (a) I did actually see this on a spec sheet (Why on earth would I make this up ?) and (b) BMW agree that it did exist them I give up. The floor is yours.